Being one of the most powerful and effective marketing tools, email marketing delivers an impressive ROI of $36 for every $1 spent. However, when a business acquires a new subscriber, someone abandons their cart, or shows interest in their brand, there’s no way they can drop everything to send the right email. It can take hours or days to respond, depending on the workload.
By then, the lead’s interest would have faded, or they would have already moved to a more responsive competitor.
This graph demonstrates the rapid surge in the email marketing industry, supporting businesses to streamline targeted, personalized, and relevant emails to quickly nurture and convert leads. Below are a few more interesting stats that reinforce the significance of email marketing.
- Revenue from email marketing is expected to exceed about $11 billion by 2023 end.
- Email users standing at $4 billion, will more than double to $4.6 billion by the 2025 end according to Statista.
- 93% of marketers are distributing content in their industry via email.
- 64% of B2B brands are tapping into the power of email automation.
- 35% of marketers use marketing automation software for content generation and email outbound tasks.
All these facts point towards one thing email marketing is a powerful tactic, and email automation is on the rise.
Follow this guide to learn about email automation and the best email automation platforms.
What is Email Automation?
Email automation is a technique of automatically sending marketing emails to subscribers. It enables businesses to create and share personalized messages based on the actions or inactions of customers. For instance, a prospect who recently subscribed to an email list will probably receive a welcome email from the company sharing information about their business.
Essentially, rules are pre-set in email automation about when and which emails must be sent and what personalized information will be added. As a result, marketers can reach leads with the right message at the right moment while doing less work every time.
Benefits of Email Automation
Let’s take a detailed look into some of the ways email automation benefits businesses:
With email automation, businesses can dodge segmenting email lists, sending generic messages, or scheduling emails manually. Instead, marketers and sales professionals can place more focus to work on essential projects that demand attention, such as customer acquisition.
- In fact, 49% of marketing and salespeople have mentioned “time savings of repetitive tasks”, while others have stated “improved efficiency of ROI” as important benefits of automation.
- 40% of B2B marketers consider email newsletters essential to their content promotion strategies.
✅Enhances Customer Retention
Email automation allows marketers to create automated win-back or re-engagement emails. With them, businesses can easily rekindle relationships with subscribers who haven’t purchased from them for a long time.
✅Reduces Possible Errors
A recipient’s trust in a company can be hindered because of incorrect details or errors in the email. With automated email workflows, however, messages can be proofread and checked repeatedly before placing them live. Besides, these workflows automatically add personalized tokens like the recipient’s name into the email.
Best Email Automation Platforms For Companies in 2023
Let’s learn about the best email automation platforms available for companies, including their positives and drawbacks:
Run multichannel, targeted marketing strategies on auto-pilot with Drip email automation software. It features customized and proven workflow templates to improve the outcomes of your marketing campaigns.
You can also empower your workflows from vital e-commerce data as the software integrates easily with Shopify, LoyaltyLion, WooCommerce, and more. Even send relevant messages across depending on the prospect’s behavior with Drip.
- Responsive pre-built workflows
- Easiest for creating automated email sequences
- Excellent drag-and-drop editor
- Lacks additional integrations with third-party tools
- Slow customer service and support
- $39 per month: Up to 2,500 contacts
- $154 per month: Up to 10,000 contacts
- $1,899 per month: Up to 170,000 contacts
Another one of the best automation platforms on the list, ActiveCampaign, is ideally suited for small businesses and digital creators. It helps them to personalized campaigns for every customer. The platform features a guide to assist them in this endeavor.
Not to mention, ActiveCampaign comes with a drag-and-drop email designer that allows marketers to set up campaigns in a few minutes. With data analytics and reporting, creators, and companies can better understand what actions to take and change.
- Ease of use
- Contact tracking
- Multi-app integration
- No grouping of tags option
- Outdated templates
- $15+ per month: Lite plan
- $70+ per month: Plus plan
- $187+ per month: Professional plan
One of the most popular email marketing and automation platforms, Mailchimp is majorly free and simple to use. It comes with pre-built email templates and a drag-and-drop editor that even a novice can use to create a variety of professional emails.
These include welcome series, re-engagement, product abandonment, and more. Besides that, the platform supports data reporting, website tracking, email list building, and contact segmentation.
- Multiple design templates
- Easy to navigate
- Supports custom mass emails
- UI is a bit slow and outdated
- Analytic results
- Starting from $13 per month: Basic plan
- Starting from $20 per month: Standard plan
- Starting $350 per month: Premium plan
HubSpot is a renowned and reliable CRM software solution that empowers businesses with marketing and email automation. The tool allows marketers to send personalized messages based on the subscribers’ buying journey, list membership, or preferences.
Even better, it offers an all-inclusive view of prospects to conceptualize relevant email copies and CTAs that persuade them to take action. The platform further supports A/B testing to help marketers understand which subject lines will get the emails opened.
- Tracking communication
- Simple to start collecting leads
- The core CRM software is free
- Design templates are limited in number
- Integration with project management tools is not the best
- Basic: $45 per month
- Professional: $800 per month
- Enterprise: $3,600 per month
Moosend is a tool that focuses on enhancing engagement and brand communication via strategic email initiatives. The tool also offers versatile triggering options, precise performance insights, collaborative workflows, and a simple-to-use drag-and-drop editor. With these different features on offer from Moosend, you can draft dynamic email campaigns.
- Quick and responsive customer support
- Sending transactional emails is possible
- Powerful and precise real-time analytics
- No free plan is available
- Sign-up form templates could be better
- For up to 1,000 subscribers: $16 per month
- For up to 5,000 subscribers: $48 per month
- For up to 10,000 subscribers: $88 per month
6. Mailer Lite
Mailer Lite empowers businesses to craft precise campaigns containing tailored messages, fostering deeper engagement. Its complimentary tier covers up to 1,000 subscribers, while there is no maximum limit on the volume of emails accessible to free users. Although Mailer Lite does not provide pre-made templates, marketers can artistically fashion their emails through an intuitive drag-and-drop editor.
- Easy to use
- Drag and drop email design editor
- Website and blog builder
- No CRM functionalities
- Offers limited support with integrations
- $10 per month: Up to 1,000 contacts
- $17 per month: Up to 1,001 to 2,500 contacts
- $32 per month: Up to 2,501 to 5,000 contacts
GetResponse – an all-in-one marketing solution for content creation, sales growth, and boosting website visits. Features, such as ready-made workflows, advanced segmentation, signup forms, and A/B testing, make lead prospecting a breeze with GetResponse. Plus, the tool’s advanced analytics effectively track potential leads and the impact of your campaigns.
- Automates actions based on lead interactions
- Provides filters for precise targeting
- Utilizes unlimited tags for thorough profiling
- Email automation requires higher-tier plans
- Drag-and-drop email editor needs improvement
- Starting from $15/per month
Specifically designed for e-commerce businesses, Omnisend automates all emails commonly shared by online stores, including product abandonment, shipping, confirmation, and more. It features a drag-and-drop editor and an easy-to-use interface to create email campaigns and put them on autopilot.
- Integrated SMS automation
- Audience segmentation and tagging possible
- Multiple email content templates are available
- Issues with email scheduling
- Limitation with integrations
- $16 monthly: Up to 500 contacts
- $59 monthly: Up to 2500 contacts
Constant Contact is a budget-friendly and highly efficient email automation platform designed to uncover promising leads and convert them into customers. This solution offers an array of ready-to-use templates, enabling you to deliver precisely timed messages for maximum impact.
With features for building mailing lists and creating signup forms, Constant Contact supports social media lead advertisements, crafting engaging landing pages, and much more.
- Simplifies social media activities
- Syncs with already-used apps
- Smart user interface
- Limited design
- Slow to navigate
- Lite: $12/per month
- Standard: $35/per month
- Premium: $80/per month
A powerful and cost-effective email automation platform, EmailOctopus provides companies and digital creators with advanced features to grow their mailing lists and engage with prospects.
You can create beautifully and professionally designed newsletters to simple personalized text emails within minutes of the easy-to-use editor. Not to mention, EmailOctopus helps to create drip email campaigns for welcoming new prospects.
- Several creative and effective email templates
- Landing page builder
- Campaign creation is simple
- Issues in integrations with other apps
- Lack of support with customer service
- $7/ per month: Pro plan
From onboarding to welcome emails, re-engagement to thank-you emails, Mailmodo places your email campaigns on autopilot to save time and resources. It further helps to come up with effective email automation workflows to share personalized and time-sensitive messages at the right moment. With advanced audience segmentation, Mailmodo helps find ideal prospects more likely to convert.
- Pre-build widgets and templates available
- Amazing drag-and-drop editor
- Ability to upload HTML email template files
- Non-intuitive user flow
- Difficulties with SMTP integration
- Starting from $36.19: Lite plan
- Starting from $96.53: Pro plan
- Starting from $241.34: Max plan
One of the best email automation platforms, Brevo comes with advanced features and functionality. Starting with a clean user interface which makes it an extremely user-friendly tool. Second to that, it features an amazing email campaign builder to create a quick message for your email marketing strategy on the spot.
- Easy-to-use automated workflows
- Support with SMS marketing
- Landing page builder
- Poor analytics and reporting
- Limited integrations
- Starting from $25/per month: Standard plan
- Starting from $65/per month: Business plan
Key Features to Consider When Selecting the Best Email Automation Platforms for Your Business
Consider these points when choosing the right email automation platform to boost your email campaigns and enhance your business’s conversion rates:
Easy Editor: Go for a platform with a user-friendly drag-and-drop editor. Customize ready-made email templates effortlessly to create your own branded and personalized emails. Some even let you import your own HTML designs or start from scratch.
App Connections: Look for an email automation platform that seamlessly connects with other apps. For example, by combining your CRM data with email tools, you can gain insights that fine-tune marketing campaigns for better engagement.
A/B Testing: Ensure the platform supports A/B testing. This helps you experiment with subject lines, email content, calls-to-action, and message length to see what resonates with your audience. It is a more innovative way to improve email campaigns and boost open and click rates.
Insights and Reports: Choose a platform that provides comprehensive dashboards. They are crucial for strategic marketers who must analyze data over various time frames to understand open rates, clicks, and engagement trends.
Based on studies combining customer analytics along with email automation, you or your business can understand audience preferences and buying behaviors in a better way.
Although the listed tools are the best email automation platforms, each has different strengths and pricing schemes. The choice ultimately depends on a company’s business requirements and marketing goals.